Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slowautoxr
    commented on 's reply
    Rule 3.3.E.3 is a bit vague because it states "non-essential." I'd say that the firewall is an essential component of the vehicle. As a result of that, (a) through (k) are not applicable. Rules 3.3.E.5 and 3.3.E.6 clearly imply that vehicle modifications are permitted to many aspects of the vehicle. Regardless, we didn't do a good job on the firewall rule. The intent was to allow engine relocations while still maintaining the structural integrity of the passenger cabin. We'll work on it. Thanks for engaging. Please let us know of any other issues.

• adrelin
    commented on 's reply
    2021 Modified rules, there are no limits to modifying a firewall (applicable rule 3.(c). would capture not reducing structural strength.

legal car-for a firewall to be moved/modified as long as structural strength is not reduced.

Proposed 2022 rule 19.(2).(3). could possibly make the above car illegal?

if others, and i, understand this correctly, any current car with the firewall modified beyond 'minor' would be illegal.

Protection of the passenger compartment should be the only concern in the Modified Class, as retaining the original firewall and limiting modification to 'minor' inherently do not add any factor of safety, they will stop people from being able to try and be competitive with non-traditional/proven 'expensive' car platforms.

rallycross already looks like 'the evo/wrx/miata' races, lets please not pass rules that make it any worse,

• slowautoxr
    commented on 's reply
    Adrelin what modifications are the new rules banning that are currently allowed? Unless we missed something, the new requirements should not make any vehicle not legal that is currently legal. Read the rules as a list of requirements. No need to go to Stock or Prepared to see what is allowed there and then interpret the current modified rules. The rules were written by a committee that actually build Modified class vehicles. The intent of the rules is to actually not restrict things that most folks think are legal. We're listening.

• adrelin
    commented on 's reply
    zoltan-i agree, see my post on '2022 - RX Rules Change Proposals' thread.
    these new rules are obviously trying to ban anyone 'modifying' their cars in the 'modified' class
    they have classes for that, they are called stock and prepared.
    and of course constructor for full on purpose builds.
    i hope people wake up and see this happening

• Pete
    replied
    There did used to be a rule about requiring mudflaps on all vehicles, but that is the only historical rule on the subject that I can recall off the top of my head, besides tires not being allowed to foul the bodywork.

Leave a comment:

• slowautoxr
    commented on 's reply
    In the current rule set the line of permitted modifications was not clearly defined. What some folks think is clearly legal, others think is clearly illegal. We've attempted to define all these areas in the new rule set. See post #18 regarding the areas we are trying to protect. We understand that door bars are a point of concern for some folks just like they are not for others.

The door that opened during the rollover had a strap from the front of the door to the release mechanism. Leaning on that strap caused the door to open. We added wording after this incident regarding latch operation.

• slowautoxr
    replied
    Originally posted by ojannen View Post
    Is a center seat intended to be legal in the class? I think it looks doable with the current set of restrictions. Would you need two working doors if you ran a center seat or can you pick one as the "driver's side" door?
    We were thinking that center seats would be legal. The way the current rule is written, either door. But this has got me thinking. What if a vehicle is laying on its side with the only opening door on the ground?

I remember 5 or 6 years ago, people were replacing their passenger seat with a child sized or 1/4 sized seat to save weight. Now that the passenger seat is no longer required, is the no tiny seats rule still required?
    I think that was in autocross. The proposed rules require seats for automotive use.
    use.

I don't know if it needs to be legislated but I think non-oem seats should have headrests.
    The proposed rules require seats for automotive use.

I could have sworn there was a rule that said something like "the fenders need to fully cover the tires when looking down from the top". I can't find it anywhere in the new modified rules or the 2021 official rules. Is there any rule that dictates how much of the tire needs to be under the fenders?
    No rule like that in Modified. Maybe we should add one? In my opinion having all the tires completely outside the bodywork is not the vision of this class.
    Last edited by slowautoxr; 09-28-2021, 05:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ojannen
    replied
    Some quick things

Is a center seat intended to be legal in the class? I think it looks doable with the current set of restrictions. Would you need two working doors if you ran a center seat or can you pick one as the "driver's side" door?

I remember 5 or 6 years ago, people were replacing their passenger seat with a child sized or 1/4 sized seat to save weight. Now that the passenger seat is no longer required, is the no tiny seats rule still required?

I don't know if it needs to be legislated but I think non-oem seats should have headrests.

I could have sworn there was a rule that said something like "the fenders need to fully cover the tires when looking down from the top". I can't find it anywhere in the new modified rules or the 2021 official rules. Is there any rule that dictates how much of the tire needs to be under the fenders?

Leave a comment:

• Fivetime
    replied
    The biggest issue with the mod class is people are removing safety feature that were built into the cars by the manufacturer. Taking out door bars is unsafe. We make convertibles add a hard top even when caged to prevent intrusion, the doors should be the same. Someone will get hurt at some time is it worth it to save 20 lbs. Last year one of these flimsy doors opened during a rollover, just a matter of time till disaster strikes. Please keep our race cars safe. Thanks Warren

Leave a comment:

• slowautoxr
    commented on 's reply
    We don't want the exhaust system in the passenger compartment.

• slowautoxr
    commented on 's reply
    This rule was intend to give the builder lots of flexibility. Do we need to add more examples?

• slowautoxr
    commented on 's reply
    Here is some preliminary wording of revised rule #19: "The engine (including exhaust) must be shielded from the passenger compartment by a firewall. Minimal modifications of the OEM firewall are allowed for installation of permitted components. The original firewall must be retained unless engine relocation requires firewall modification. Modified firewall must be reinforced to meet or exceed OEM firewall structural strength."

• slowautoxr
    commented on 's reply
    The rules are a list of requirements. What rules are causing you concern?

• slowautoxr
    commented on 's reply
    Rule 21 is the height and width rule that we adapted from the Constructors rule set.

• slowautoxr
    commented on 's reply
    I added a response as a new post.
Working...
X