Extended wheel studs in prepared?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended wheel studs in prepared?

Extended wheel studs in prepared? It says wheels are unrestricted, but doesn't say anything about adding extended studs....

Thanks for every bodies help

You might be able to make an argument that they are covered as a convenience item under 3.3.C.5.

Unless they fall under convenience the rules don't explicitly allow for longer lug bolts to be used in Stock even though the wheels and offsets can be changed and spacers are allowed. Also technically, aftermarket lug nuts wouldn't be either. I think they're within the reasonable intent of the rules, so it might not be a bad idea to suggest a rule change for next year to explicitly allow them, either in Stock or Prepared.

Comment

Being that wheels are unrestricted in prepared.Honda civics have such short lug studs it makes it a restriction with out being able to put longer ones on. They would add weight too.....hahaha

Comment

A convenience is something that is not necessary. If you just want to install them, then yes that probably would be okay. If you need them because you want to add wheel spacers, then they become necessary and then they no longer fall under the convenience rules. They certainly are not specifically called out so there is no allowance to allow them. Seems to me that they would be a good fit for Prepared though. You can make rule changes submissions now till August.
        Charles
        RXB
        MR 1986 Mazda RX-7
        SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

Originally posted by slowautoxr View Post
          A convenience is something that is not necessary. If you just want to install them, then yes that probably would be okay. If you need them because you want to add wheel spacers, then they become necessary and then they no longer fall under the convenience rules. They certainly are not specifically called out so there is no allowance to allow them. Seems to me that they would be a good fit for Prepared though. You can make rule changes submissions now till August.

I would think that studs would be fasteners, and fasteners, while not explicitly free, have the expectation to be free pursuant to allowed modifications. For instance, you're also allowed to remove plastic undertrays within a certain limitation, but the rule doesn't explictly allow you to remove the fasteners that held it in. Likewise, you're allowed to remove a metallic undertray if you need to in order to install a skid plate, but the rules don't specify that you're allowed to use longer fasteners to hold that skid plate in place. It's implicit with the allowance.

Comment

I like that reasoning, but it would be a good idea to formalize it in the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by JWA View Post
              I like that reasoning, but it would be a good idea to formalize it in the rules.
              Yeah me too. Even if 99% of the rally guys would agree that extended studs are ok for prepared classes. If it isn't in the rules I don't want anybody to be able to point the finger and say I am not with in the rule set. So cross my fingers hopefully it can be added on the next revision if the rallycross board feels it would be a good addition for the class. I also understand that they are looking at the big picture, so if they don't agree that's cool too.

Comment

Wheels in Prepared are unrestricted. That means wheel spacers as well and if that means extended wheel studs using the logic like Pete mentioned, I can easily agree with that.
                Charles
                RXB
                MR 1986 Mazda RX-7
                SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

I've been running extended studs in Prepared for 5 years. I've always had it on my disclosure form, I've had several discussions with competitors with how ridiculously long my studs are and I've never had a problem. No one has ever asked me a question implying that they were considering protesting. I interpreted them as legal in that wheels are open and these are a fastener change to facilitate the changed wheels.
                  Christian Retterer
                  PA - 1990 Eclipse GSX
                  Atlanta Region

Comment

Late comment on this, but I've also been running them on my fronts for a while with the same sort of comments that Christian gets. The only performance advantage comes from being able to align the wheel faster during a wheel change. As mentioned above with how short the factory studs are I actually consider this a safety improvement especially with thicker rally wheels that put the stud only 3/4 of the way through the lug nut. I'll second any motion to add a clarification to the rules for this.
                    Ed Trudeau
                    WOR Rally Director
                    23 PA

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman View Post
                      Late comment on this, but I've also been running them on my fronts for a while with the same sort of comments that Christian gets. The only performance advantage comes from being able to align the wheel faster during a wheel change. As mentioned above with how short the factory studs are I actually consider this a safety improvement especially with thicker rally wheels that put the stud only 3/4 of the way through the lug nut. I'll second any motion to add a clarification to the rules for this.
                      Yeah I am sure that nobody would give me to hard of a time, after I explain pretty much everything everybody is saying.(safety etc) Call me to much of a rule follower, but having it actually in the rules would be great.

Davey

PS I have not pressed the extended studs in yet, but I do have a full set for the car.
                      Last edited by Davey; 07-11-2019, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X