QUestion about subframe mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUestion about subframe mod

Hello all. New to this, so bear with me.
    My son is interested in Rally Cross, modified class. I am helping with the build on his 89 CRX. We are installing a T4 kit and the down pipe has a clearance issue with the front cross member.
    My incliniation is to cut a relief area in the cross member, it would be just a corner of the :tube: so to speak to allow the pipe's elbow to move forward and rest in that relief area.
    My son said he was worried that would violate a frame modification rule.
    However, I read the rally cross rulebook, and I dont see where that would be a problem.
    Can anyone tell me for sure if cutting a relief for the pipe would disqualify his car?
    Thanks in advance!
    Neil

There are no frame modification rules that don't involve the cabin area.

Comment

From my work on the VW pickup in mod class, while in construction I asked the RXB and others about modifications in the bed area as all the old frame rails were rusted away. I had to install all new rear suspension with new attachment points where there would be nothing from the factory to connect to so I built a tube framework. I did not need the old rails for anything and they were only stamped sheet metal for the bed floor. The return answer was that I could modify the rails but not remove them. So, I re-fabricated original rails from the same thickness sheet metal as well as dimensions. I had to notch both the rear channels for shock clearance and also the front rails for tire clearance (at full lock) when I used the studded tires. In both cases, I re-boxed the frame sections to retain integrity and strength. The main concern is to retain the strength and not weaken the structure. This is a common practice in street rod fabrication where drop kits require frame mods.

Comment

Working...
      X