Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 R-X Rule Change Proposals - Submit 'Em Here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 R-X Rule Change Proposals - Submit 'Em Here!

All members are invited to submit proposed rule changes and clarifications for next year's RallyCross rules. The submission period begins January 1 and closes August 15. Use this thread to post proposed changes or comment on proposed changes. Please include a reason/rationale and suggested language for your change. The Rules Committee and RXB will review the feedback submitted and generate a list of proposed changes for 2019 for member comment and board approval.

Two key areas for comment this year are:
    • The Open class is new this year and the RXB would welcome feedback to help guide the future development of the rule set for this class;
    • Electric/hybrid powertrains are currently allowed in all classes, however, OEM electric drive systems cannot be modified under the current rules. The RXB is evaluating a rule change to allow alternate electric powertrain components in Modified subject to safety guidelines.
    Last edited by Lightfoot; 01-28-2018, 01:49 PM.
    Keith Lightfoot
    Colorado Region
    SCCA Rules Committee Chair
    SCCA RallyCross Board

Posting the link to the Electric Rule set proposal would be a good idea, so that the proposal is easy to find.

https://www.scca.com/pages/rallycross-cars-and-rules

I agree that we need to stipulate rules if people are going to mess with the current mass production electric cars. It is even more important if there are people wanting to build their own.

however, I think it needs to be clarified as to wether or not things like safety cutoff switches are mandatory on 100% stock vehicles...
    Last edited by So Close; 01-28-2018, 07:12 PM.

Comment

As for rule change proposals, I think there needs to be at least one person listed in the rules who is approved to make a ruling on safety compliance for cars being constructed for the 'open' class. If that is not possible or feasible it needs to be expressly stated how a person can find someone locally to get a car approved.

Comment

Modify section 4.2.C

4.2.C currently states

4.2.C. Passengers are not allowed during competition runs at National events. At non-National events, one (1) passenger can ride in an approved seat located in the forward‐ most occupant
      area of a vehicle that has passed tech inspection (3.3.A‐3.3.N) and is registered for competition on that day.

Change to

4.2.C At non-National events, one (1) passenger can ride in an approved seat located in the forward‐ most occupant area of a vehicle that has passed tech inspection (3.3.A‐3.3.N) and is registered for competition on that day. The only passengers who may be allowed during competitions runs in National Events are non-competitors whose role is to fulfill the state- mandated requirements for a driver who has a restricted driver's license requiring a passenger.
      Mark Macoubrie
      RXB
      Kansas City Region
      2005 STI 41 PA

Comment

If you restrict the open class to 2wd only, it will limit the amount of usable power in general, and then you don't have to restrict engine type/size/etc. So, basically, I'm suggesting allowing everything, including V8s and motorcycle engines into the open class, but 2wd only.

Also, a minimum weight should keep things realistic too. Something like 2500 lbs should keep the cars from getting too crazy. Or, if you want to try to be more fair about it, you could do a minimum weight based upon displacement.
        Jim Perrin
        WNY Region
        NEDIV RX Steward

Comment

I think a minimum weight of 2,500 for the open class is too high. Many older cars that run in M2 are below 2,000 pounds already. I think 1,500 is a much more realistic number given the current minimum size dimensions.

I like Mark's proposal for 4.2C
          Last edited by So Close; 01-29-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

How do you propose we enforce this weight rule? Scales at every event? 12 hour Tech inspection period at Nationals?

Comment

I'm just tossing out ideas at this point. 1500 lbs is a great minimum weight for a low powered car, but I'd be concerned about a 1500 lb 500hp STI. I think that min weight should be tied to displacement somehow.

Do you ever see scales at local autocrosses? The SCCA should be able to furnish a set of scales for us to use at Nationals. Roll up on them on the way to tech.
              Jim Perrin
              WNY Region
              NEDIV RX Steward

Comment

3.1 ELIGIBLE VEHICLES (Mandatory for all SCCA sanctioned RallyCross events. See Article 2.1)
                A RallyCross event is open to any fixed-roof, four-wheeled, mass-produced passenger vehicle (including convertibles with a factory hardtop attached, targa-types with factory panel in place, t‐tops with factory panels in place) that can pass safety inspection..... ....the following types of vehicles are currently not eligible to compete: ATVs, UTVs, sidebysides, Trophy Trucks, Crosskarts, Formula Cross, and Legend cars and tube‐frame vehicles.

Proposal

Delete Crosskarts, Formal Cross, Legends cars and tube-frame vehicles from the not eligible list.

Reason: All of these vehicles could be used as a base for an open class car.
                Mark Macoubrie
                RXB
                Kansas City Region
                2005 STI 41 PA

Comment

3.3.C.3

Any air filter may be used, but it must fit in the stock location.

Add

Original factory air box around filter and/or support for filter must be retained.
                  Mark Macoubrie
                  RXB
                  Kansas City Region
                  2005 STI 41 PA

Comment

Originally posted by gsxnut View Post
                    3.1 ELIGIBLE VEHICLES (Mandatory for all SCCA sanctioned RallyCross events. See Article 2.1)
                    A RallyCross event is open to any fixed-roof, four-wheeled, mass-produced passenger vehicle (including convertibles with a factory hardtop attached, targa-types with factory panel in place, t‐tops with factory panels in place) that can pass safety inspection..... ....the following types of vehicles are currently not eligible to compete: ATVs, UTVs, sidebysides, Trophy Trucks, Crosskarts, Formula Cross, and Legend cars and tube‐frame vehicles.

Proposal

Delete Crosskarts, Formal Cross, Legends cars and tube-frame vehicles from the not eligible list.

Reason: All of these vehicles could be used as a base for an open class car.
                    Except all of those, as currently produced, are not eligible for the class because they do not use a car engine.

I know what you are getting at, but if you omit them here, people will suddenly think they are eligible as is. I think you need to add some more wording to it to make that clear.
                    Jim Perrin
                    WNY Region
                    NEDIV RX Steward

Comment

"Convertible vehicles are allowed to remove factory soft top [all classes]". Rationale: Convertibles add weight when adding the factory hardtop, and some convertible owners interested in competing may have already had soft tops removed for other racing purposes (i.e. track days, etc.) or because the factory soft top was full of holes anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by huflepuff View Post
                        "Convertible vehicles are allowed to remove factory soft top [all classes]". Rationale: Convertibles add weight when adding the factory hardtop, and some convertible owners interested in competing may have already had soft tops removed for other racing purposes (i.e. track days, etc.) or because the factory soft top was full of holes anyway.
                        I think you'd get more traction if you didn't include stock class in your proposal.
                        Jim Perrin
                        WNY Region
                        NEDIV RX Steward

Comment

Originally posted by So Close View Post
                          I think a minimum weight of 2,500 for the open class is too high. Many older cars that run in M2 are below 2,000 pounds already. I think 1,500 is a much more realistic number given the current minimum size dimensions.

I like Mark's proposal for 4.2C
                          The fastest cars in MR are quite a bit over 2000lb...

Of course if someone wants to make their car uncompetitive, more power to 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by gsxnut View Post
                            3.3.C.3

Any air filter may be used, but it must fit in the stock location.

Add

Original factory air box around filter and/or support for filter must be retained.
                            Change should not be required - you can't remove the air box or air filter supports, as it is not explicitly allowed. The rule as written allows K&N type filters as long as they are drop-in replacements.

Comment

Working...
                            X