Is this a legal Miata bumper for MR? Thanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a legal Miata bumper for MR? Thanks

Hello, will this bumper pass tech at Nationals 2017?
    Thanks Peter

Yes, it will pass tech. Is it legal? Not sure.

Comment

Rules State

All non-essential components may be removed,replaced or relocated for the purpose of weight reduction or with the following requirements:

a. The shape of the body must remain recognizable as that of the manufacturer’s make and model.
      b. The body must be made of a fire resistant material.
      c. Structural strength of the vehicle may not be reduced or compromised.
      d. Doors, hoods, trunk lids, sunroofs, hatchbacks, etc., need not function as originally designed; however, the driver door and passenger doors (if a passenger seat is present) must maintain sufficient functionality to allow safe ingress/egress. Grilles and trim pieces may be modified, removed, or replaced with replicas of alternate material. Bumpers not integral to the bodywork, and their associated mounting hardware, may be modified or removed. Bumpers integral to the bodywork may be modified or replaced with replicas of alternate material. Modified or replica bumpers must be of similar shape as standard components, and not confuse the identity of the vehicle. Lights may be modified or removed, provided any remaining openings must be covered with a wire mesh screen or panel of fiberglass, metal, or similar non-flammable material. Side mirrors may be removed or modified.
      Mark Macoubrie
      RXB
      Kansas City Region
      2005 STI 41 PA

Comment

With the way the rule is written, I would say no. However, I think you could easily bend a piece of cloroplast around to make a bumper cover to meet the intent of the rules, enough so that you could likely win a protest. See the example picture for what I'm talking about. Obviously, you wouldn't need to bring it quite so low. This could be done simply and removed for your offroading adventures.

Please note that I have no official decision making powers, so these comments are based on my interpretation of the rules.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15822626_1773261093000180_1677444933034532582_n.jpg?oh=32ea430a84a8ff1236896a43a6bcd931&oe=5A462426.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1721

Comment

I would say that it does not change the silhouette or confuse the identity of the vehicle so it should be legal. I wouldn't think anyone would protest it.

Comment

As Mark noted above, "Bumpers integral to the bodywork may be modified or replaced with replicas of alternate material. Modified or replica bumpers must be of similar shape as standard components, and not confuse the identity of the vehicle." The Miata in the top photo doesn't meet this requirement. The vehicle would need a replacement lower bumper cover similar (but not identical) in shape to the OEM bumper cover. The bumper cover in the second photo would meet the rule requirements but would likely result in a 10 second penalty per run because it looks wanky. (Um, just kidding about that last part.)
            Keith Lightfoot
            Colorado Region
            SCCA Rules Committee Chair
            SCCA RallyCross Board

Comment

The OEM bumper cover on a Miata extends from the hood line all the way to the bottom of the vehicle. By the rules, you cannot remove it but you can modify it. Peter's bumper cover was modified to remove the lower section. The car still looks like a Miata so I think it does meet the rule requirement - it has the signature pop up lights and the turn signals are there as well.
              Charles
              MA 1995 Subaru Impreza
              SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
              ex-SEDiv RallyCross Steward

Comment

Originally posted by EvanB View Post
                I would say that it does not change the silhouette or confuse the identity of the vehicle so it should be legal. I wouldn't think anyone would protest it.
                me neither, I had to squint to see what exactly had been changed.

Now, a narrow car that has been lifted and rides on tall tires scares the crap out of me from a safety standpoint, given how easy it is for stock height Miatas to lift a tire in corners, but that wasn't the question.
                Last edited by Pete; 09-30-2017, 07:40 PM.

Comment

looks like so kinda fancy aftermarket bumper to me . Think we need to just let folks run there cars especially if this is in mod of all places.

Comment

Working...
                  X