Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 R-X Rule Change Proposals -- Submit 'Em Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 R-X Rule Change Proposals -- Submit 'Em Here!

All members are invited to submit proposed rule changes and clarifications for next year's RallyCross rules. The submission period begins January 1 and closes June 15. Use this thread to post proposed changes or comment on proposed changes. Please include a reason/rationale and suggested language for your change. The Rules Committee and RXB will review the feedback submitted and generate a list of proposed changes for 2018 for member comment and board approval.
    Keith Lightfoot
    Colorado Region
    SCCA Rules Committee Chair
    SCCA RallyCross Board

I'll start this off easy with a couple of items that have gotten a lot of discussion already:

- Move the studded tire verbiage from 3.3.C.2 to section 3.2, so that it applies to all classes.
    Reasoning: This puts the limitation on studs into a general category rather than class-specific preparation allowance. We have gotten notice that this will be included in the 2017 Supplemental Rules, but needs to go through the process for incorporation into the rule book.

- Under 4.4.D, please clarify that Tech Inspectors are to be concerned with the general vehicle eligibility and safety inspection (Sections 3.1 and 3.2), and supplemental regulations.
    Reasoning: To require the Tech Inspectors to "ascertain that the vehicles comply with the RXR and supplemental regulations" is too broad, and implies that they are also responsible for class legality, since class prep allowances are also a part of the RXR.
    Kent Hamilton
    RXB Chairman

That guy from Alaska

Comment

There is a discussion currently on car swapping during an event. In the spirit of fairness to all I propose the following as the basis for addition to the 2018 rules. This would be a general rule and not specific to regional or national competition.
      1. Entry for an event is defined as the combination of car and driver.
      2. If any competitor cannot complete a run as entered in the event, they will receive a bogey time
        1. Bogey time is equal to the slowest time for the missed run for the class of the entry, plus 10 seconds
          1. Example – If Joe in MA misses the fourth run of the day, Joe would get the slowest time out of all the MA times for the 4th run, plus 10 second.
        2. Any on course event that results in a safety incident form, and prevents the competitor from continuing, should result in termination of competition for that competitor.
      3. If a competitor wishes to continue competition in a vehicle other than the one entered in, a new scoring entry must be created for that vehicle.
        1. All runs up to the run where the new entry is added will be given bogey times as described above
        2. Competitors should not be charged for the new entry.

Respectfully submitted
      Keith Kennedy
      ​​​​​​​Blue Mountain Region RallyCross Safety Steward

Comment

The statement regarding Spectators in 4.2.H is contradictory to, or confusing when read with, the newly added rule for 2017 4.2.R.

Current wording of 4.2.H "All participants, including competitors, workers, crew, members, and guests, must sign the SCCA waiver form. Spectators should sign the waiver."

Proposed wording of 4.2.H since the issue is covered by 4.2.R "All participants, including competitors, workers, crew, members, and guests, must sign the SCCA waiver form."

Respectfully submitted
        Keith Kennedy
        ​​​​​​​Blue Mountain Region RallyCross Safety Steward

Comment

Proposed allowance
          3.3.C.4 - Stock Category (protective equipment)

Front bumpers, rear bumpers, body trim pieces and attachment points may be reinforced to prevent or repair damage from cone or ground contact. Reinforcements that are not visible to the exterior of the car are allowed. Such repairs and/or reinforcements may serve no other purpose.

Reasoning
          This is a near-direct lift from the 2017 Solo Rules section 13.1. I'm not married to the explicit wording, but I think it's valuable to single out and name as a RallyCross Stock allowance.

Example: tiny tabs molded into the bumper cover clip to the chassis, but are easily broken with a hit, causing the bumper to sag. The repair options are to either buy an entire bumper cover, or just fab brackets or screws to keep the bumper in place.

Newer cars especially have a lot of plastic fascias, trays, skirts, finishers, and trim that could be easily broken when RallyCrossing from a cone strike or nose scrape. They are often expensive dealer-only parts. I think it's worth allowing reinforcement and repair to keep these panels in place. The car fully maintains its stock appearance and weight, but may have non-factory brackets, screws, zip-ties, etc., installed.

Comment

That is already legal under the "protective" clause, or alternatively, it is a best-practices repair.

My day job is working on cars at an indie shop, almost everything more than two years old has zipties and sheetmetal screws holding undertrays and side panels and bumper covers together. Automakers have yet to learn that M6 bolts are the worst things possible to attach things underneath a car.
            Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2017, 08:06 PM.
            '84 RX-7 #9 Mod Rear
            '81 RX-7 #74 Prepared Rear
            '06 S60R #588
            '86 Quantum Syncro #34 Mod AWD

Comment

In section 3.1 remove “A vehicle that meets the definition above but was not originally sold in the United States (e.g. Canada, Japan/JDM or Europe-only vehicle) is eligible if it meets applicable safety and preparation allowance requirements.”

OR ALTERNATELY

Add statement in brackets to section 3.1 “A vehicle that meets the definition above but was not originally sold in the United States (e.g. Canada, Japan/JDM or Europe-only vehicle) is eligible [for the modified classes only] if it meets applicable safety and preparation allowance requirements.”

============
              There are non-USDM vehicles that could exceed the performance of USDM vehicles. Using the same logic and similar verbiage as the spiked tire rule, the cost of these non-USDM vehicles and the availability of these vehicles at national events is not required and in some ways detrimental to the sport and to national events.

Additionally when this question was polled on the forum, the membership that commented was basically split with 7 against allowing and 6 allowing non-USDM vehicles. Clearly this was not a well received proposal.

Furthermore by allowing non-USDM vehicles into the Stock and Prepared classes, the RXB has created a complete set of alternate preparation rules for these 2 groups of classes. Rule 3.3.C.1 allows complete conversion packages. This obviously now includes non-USDM vehicles. Determining class compliance has now become extremely difficult as a competitor would have to know vehicle configurations around the globe.

As the gaps between competitors continues to decrease, more emphasis will be placed upon vehicle selection and preparation. Clearly selecting the right car for the class can impact the overall result. Non-USM vehicles now would be a viable alternative to someone willing to either bridge or widen the performance envelope.
              Charles
              RXB
              RX Rule Committee chairman
              MR 1986 Mazda RX-7
              SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

TURTLE RULE
                No competitor will be allowed to invert their vehicle during a timed run. This shall include but not be limited to vehicles that return to un-inverted position at the end of the inversion cycle or vehicles that partially invert and remain on their side at the end of the inversion cycle unable to continue without external assistance. Such action shall be deemed "intolerable". The competitor will receive a DNF for said run and in addition all subsequent runs unless they can find another competitor that will allow them to continue using a different vehicle.

Inverting 2 vehicles in the same event shall result in harassment by all of the other drivers as deemed appropriate by the group. Driving a 3rd vehicle shall not be tolerated. At the discretion of the event steward, the offending driver may receive a turtle or a reasonable facsimile thereof. If a live turtle is presented, the competitor must care for said turtle as long as it shall live in captivity. To assure compliance, the event steward may, with a 24 hour notice, request the competitor to present said turtle for verification at a later event. Substitute turtles may be allowed at the discretion of the event steward however the substitute must be of the same make and model as the original. (you may not substitute a box turtle for a snapping turtle)

Special awards may be presented at year end awards banquets to any competitor who inverts more than 1 vehicle in a calendar year as additional humiliation.
                Last edited by Dynatorch; 02-12-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

All standing cones count.

There was some discussion at a region's event a few weeks ago about standing cones after the finish counting or not. As is common place with AX, cones are used after the finish gate to direct cars in a safe direction. If these cones don't count, then it defeats the purpose of using them in the first place. If a region wants to use cones for directions but not have them count, they can always just lay down pointer cones.
                  Jim Perrin
                  WNY Region
                  NEDIV RX Steward

Comment

Modified classes - E. 10. Exhaust systems may be replaced with any material with the following requirements: a. The exhaust must exit to the rear of the driver or to the side of the car b. The exhaust must comply with local noise restrictions. c. No catalytic converter is required. (Solo allows side exit exhausts anywhere on the car; it has been a long time rule in their book and they see all the same staging and racing situations that we do. So I could use their long standing with the rule as proof of it being safe. As long as we comply with noise I think it would be a fun option for the mod classes.

Comment

Now that EVs are a thing I would like to see clarification as to their competition class(es).

It is a documented fact that an EV power system delivers motive thrust in a way far different from gasoline/diesel. I for one plan on obtaining one (hold your comments of me) and will RX it at some point. Should they be allowed only in the stock classes to prevent/dissuade modifications to the power train? Or put them into Modified until their capabilities are known? Or should they get their own class (EV or EX or EF,ER,EA...) so they don't get killed by the fuel powered cars, or possibly, outclass them.

Comment

Originally posted by JOlschewski View Post
                        The exhaust must exit to the rear of the driver or to the side of the car
                        I'm assuming the underlined part is what you want added?
                        The rule says "rear of the driver", not "rear of the car". As I read it, side exhausts are already allowed, so long as they exit behind the driver (as is the rule in ax).
                        Jim Perrin
                        WNY Region
                        NEDIV RX Steward

Comment

Originally posted by So Close View Post
                          Now that EVs are a thing I would like to see clarification as to their competition class(es).

It is a documented fact that an EV power system delivers motive thrust in a way far different from gasoline/diesel. I for one plan on obtaining one (hold your comments of me) and will RX it at some point. Should they be allowed only in the stock classes to prevent/dissuade modifications to the power train? Or put them into Modified until their capabilities are known? Or should they get their own class (EV or EX or EF,ER,EA...) so they don't get killed by the fuel powered cars, or possibly, outclass them.
                          This has already been dealt with. They were always legal in Stock and Prepared, but the Mod rules used to say "must be internal combustion". That rule was altered to allow hybrids and EVs in Modified.

Locally we have already had people rallycrossing hybrids. They go, stop, and turn, just like any other car
                          '84 RX-7 #9 Mod Rear
                          '81 RX-7 #74 Prepared Rear
                          '06 S60R #588
                          '86 Quantum Syncro #34 Mod AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

This has already been dealt with. They were always legal in Stock and Prepared, but the Mod rules used to say "must be internal combustion". That rule was altered to allow hybrids and EVs in Modified.

Locally we have already had people rallycrossing hybrids. They go, stop, and turn, just like any other car
                            I'm not talking Hybrids. I'm speaking to cars that are electric only. Such as: BMW i3 (with or w/o backup generator), Tesla anything, Leaf, Chevy's Bolt, etc. The only place they are mentioned specifically is in the Mod rules, and this may prompt people to think that is they only class they are allowed in.

Comment

Windshield Rule Adjustment:

I propose that we adjust the currently adopted, but not enforced yet, windshield rule in the following way:

A cracked windshield is allowed so long as it is only a single crack, and does not contact any edge of the glass. The single crack cannot split in multiple directions. The windshield surface cannot be offset in a manor that you can feel the glass raised at the crack. This will be compulsorily enforced at National Events. Regional only events may allow an exemption to specific vehicles based on Safety Steward approval at each event.

The justification of this is to allow for a minor crack in the windshield, but prevent someone competing with something that could potentially impact visibility. This is NOT intended to address anything regarding structural integrity. I specifically did not mention a roll cage exemption for that reason. The regional exemption is based on a visual inspection from a safety steward to ok that it does not pose an explicit safety risk (ie 2 small cracks that are outside the field of view and don't touch each other, nor the edges). It also allows that vehicle to compete at multiple local events so long as the crack doesn't increase in size or present any other safety issue.
                              Jim Perrin
                              WNY Region
                              NEDIV RX Steward

Comment

Working...
                              X