Crazy drive-by-wire WRX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy drive-by-wire WRX

So we rallycrossed our 2006 WRX equipped with drive-by-wire a few weeks ago. Holy cow was I surprised when I lifted off the gas pedal on the first turn and the car kept on accelerating at full-tilt. It did stop after a moment but the damage was done and I actually had to throw it into reverse to get back on course. From then on the only way I could predictably control the car was to left foot brake anytime I wanted to car to stop accelerating (not just brake). It was disconcerting to say the least.

Anyone else have this problem with drive-by-wire throttles? Another competitor there also happened to be driving a 2006 WRX and experienced the same thing. I poked around online and didn’t really see anyone else complaining about it which is simply amazing to me as it felt like the car was possessed. I can replicate the issue on pavement if I give it gas hard for a few seconds and then immediately lift off the pedal without hitting the clutch. The car keeps on accelerating away for a moment before letting off.

I imagine it’s something that can be tuned out though I think I’m going to pass and simply retire the WRX from rallycrossing. Luckily for us we have the evo to fall back on.
    Max Lawson
    2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR
    National Champion 2015 PA
    2nd Place 2016 MA

Uh-oh. I'm putting a '06 WRX swap into my car......
    Charles
    RXB
    RX Rule Committee chairman
    MR 1986 Mazda RX-7
    SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

I never had that issue in my 07, which was on the stock tune for all 4 years and 60 K miles I owned it. I've never had an issue with drive by wire throttles, and I've owned and driven 5 such cars since 2007

Comment

Working...
      X