Evo suspension fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evo suspension fixes

During one of Susan's runs a couple of months ago the suspension on the passenger side front started making a knocking sound over rough sections of the course. I thought the issue was the side skirt as it had coincidentally come loose that day (a couple of the plastic clips had broken). This didn't fix the noise but the rest of the suspension seemed fine (bolts all tight, no obvious play, etc). Fast forward to nationals and the noise was more insistent than ever and Susan was noticing the car acting a bit squirrely (I can never tell these things myself). I was really worried that the strut was blown and what we were hearing was it bottoming out. This would be a giant bummer as Bilstein no longer rebuilds their old OEM stuff.

After replicating the sound many times pulling into our driveway I looked close at all the soft bits last weekend and discovered the trailing arm bushing (a hockey puck-shaped thing) was coming apart in a dramatic way on the passenger side. The evo has also produced a light knocking sound on the driver's side for the last couple of years and, sure enough, this same bushing was also ripped on the driver's side (though not nearly as bad as the passenger side).

I ordered poly bushings and the Whiteline Front Roll Center kit (might as well replace the ball joints at the same time) and pulled the control arms off last night. We'll have the new bits pressed in this weekend and are looking forward to a noise-free final event next weekend.

So.

If your evo/wrx/whatever is making a knocking noise and you can't find any other issues (I replaced most all of the other suspension bits on the driver's side before becoming resigned to the noise) check the control arm bushings for wear. At least on the evo they aren't expensive or hard to replace.
    Max Lawson
    2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR
    National Champion 2015 PA
    2nd Place 2016 MA

Thanks for mentioning this, I'm getting a similar noise up front and also thought it was a strut. I'll have to check out those bushings first.

Is the front roll center kit legal for prepared? I didn't think so, but I know it hasn't been discussed here as much as in autocross.
    AZ Border Region
    PA Evo

Comment

I had to replace 1 or two bushings. Stock stuff is expensive for what you get.
      Last edited by slowautoxr; 10-30-2016, 07:01 PM.
      Charles
      RXB
      RX Rule Committee chairman
      MR 1986 Mazda RX-7
      SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

Originally posted by benclement View Post
        Thanks for mentioning this, I'm getting a similar noise up front and also thought it was a strut. I'll have to check out those bushings first.

Is the front roll center kit legal for prepared? I didn't think so, but I know it hasn't been discussed here as much as in autocross.
        I'm pretty sure it puts the cars in mod.
        Max Lawson
        2nd Place 2016 MA

Comment

Does rule 3.3.D.12 cover that or does 3.3.D.8 preclude it?
          Charles
          RXB
          RX Rule Committee chairman
          MR 1986 Mazda RX-7
          SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

I don't know about the rule Charles but I figure I can give a little more info about how the installation went and the outcome.

Getting out the old bushings went alright although we didn't have a big enough socket to push out the entire hockey-puck one in the back. The passenger side was so destroyed it could just be pulled out by hand and the other we just pressed out the center and then I used a hacksaw to cut out the remainder of each. We bought cheapy poly bushings on Amazon and I was slightly worried they might not fit well but they did fine. The new hockey-puck bushings were painful to press in but that is just the way it goes with that type of bushing. I did find that reinstalling the control arms was a lot more difficult as the new bushings were much thicker than the old ones. I ended up having to take out the struts to make room to swing a rubber mallet. A bit of grease and they eventually went in alright (grease is also important to use as I've heard poly bushings will squeak badly without it).

The loud knocking sound was immediately gone and the car feels good. I'm terrible at telling a difference when swapping out suspension bits but Susan says the car handles better.
            Max Lawson
            2nd Place 2016 MA

Comment

Tommy did the front lower control arm bushings on his car before the fateful trip to Tulsa. He and Ryan Sealey both felt a huge difference. Their parts were not prepared legal, as the altered the geometry of the suspension, outside of simple camber plates.

Comment

Working...
              X