Rally Tire Review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rally Tire Review!

I've not really seen a place where rally tires have been reviewed by rallycrossers so I'm going to start reviewing what I've owned/raced over the years.

-Yokahama Medium Gravel 195/65R15 (I think)- $165/tire, bought new in 2012, used on 2004 WRX in PA
    These were our first rally tires and we liked them a lot. Good traction, responsive, and durable. Used in approximately 15 events before we gave them to the Rickli's for use in ice racing. If we could buy them now we probably would (great value at the price we paid for them).

-Lassa Rally $205/65R15 (I think)- $400, bought used in 2012, used on 2004 WRX in PA
    We bought these from Kubo who ran them on his 2.5RS at the 2012 nationals where his co-driver, Diego, had one of his steel wheels rip apart (it was an exciting finish). We used them at five or six events and liked them well enough. They were grippy and responsive but heavy enough that we could feel it when driving. We ended up selling them along with the wheels we mounted them on when we bought the Evo. They’ve been resold a couple more times and I believe they are still used periodically in Colorado. Incredibly durable tire (Kubo was not the first owner). Not sure these are available in the states.

-Black Rocket BR 44 medium compound 17/65R15 (essentially 205 wide) - $139/tire, bought new on 8/1/2013, used on 2004 WRX in PA, 1993 Impreza in MA, and 2006 Evo in PA/MA
    These were our first and, so far, only retread rally tires. Bought as they are so inexpensive and we could get them locally (still can). We were initially concerned they wore too quickly but used them for around 18 events before declaring them done just a couple of months ago (that's a lot of events). I think these tires were a great value. Not the best in terms of grip or responsiveness but just about impossible to beat for the price. For the last year or so we’ve exclusively used them on surfaces that are hard on tires. Generally I placed in the top 3 in whatever class we were running them in. I would recommend these to anyone looking to spend a bit less and still be pretty competitive in the prepared and modified classes. **Note that not all Black Rockets have a reinforced sidewall. BR 44s do but if you are looking at others it would be best to ask if it's important to you.

Maxxis R19 hard compound 205/65R15 - $240/tire, bought new on 4/23/2015, used on 2006 Evo in PA/MA
    Great all-around premium tire. So far we’ve used them at seven events, three of them at the national-level (two first place finishes and one second). They’ve done well on medium and soft surfaces and have held up very well (the original divits in the treads are still evident). We like them a lot and I believe they are the best performing tire we’ve owned baring the Pirellis (see below). An expensive but great rally tire. A big plus is Maxxis’ contingency and no shipping charge (as on now anyways).

Pirelli K4 195/70R15 - $240/tire, bought used on 10/29/2015, used on 2006 Evo in MA
    I really love these tires. They were lightly used when we bought them as part of a wheel/tire package and have been fantastic here in Colorado. We’ve used them at seven events where I’ve come in first in all but one where I landed in second. I thought they were pretty durable until we ran them at the USTDS where they were shredded badly (though that place is hard on any tire). I would put them at or above the R19s in performance. A big plus for Coloradans is they are available locally. Awesome tire but expensive with no contingency.

Anyone else?
    Last edited by max; 10-17-2016, 09:58 PM.
    Max Lawson
    2006 Mitsubishi Evo IX MR
    National Champion 2015 PA
    2nd Place 2016 MA

I have used the following on a 2005 Subaru STI running in Prepared - It is tuned.

Blizzak WS70 Snow Tires 245/45/17- Bought used set with 90% tread for $300 in 2013 and used through the 2013-2015 season. The snow tires seems to work well for me. I ran them in Prepared AWD at the 2014 Nationals to 4th place finish. They seem very stable. The work better on hard or tacky surfaces where a big contact patch helps. They will get outperformed by Rally Tires and Mud Tires in some situations. They did seem to wear well. I put 25 events on one set and still had about half tread left.

Yokohama A035e Soft Compound. 205/65/15 Bought for $800/set of four off eBay. Used for two events in 2015 and all of 2016. Tires seems to do very well in most conditions but real sloppy. Also they incur a lot of wear when it is hot and dry or there is a hard surface. The tread pattern is a good mix of straight and angled tread to give grip in straight away and turns. I put one full season (15 events) on them and they have 60% tread including taking them to some events where the course actually was hard enough to start taking rubber. The knobs have mostly lost their edges and the are looking a lot more rounded on the tread pattern throughout instead of wearing the rubber off like normal tires where the tread thickness decreases but the edges are fairly well kept. I would recommend them if you can get a hold of them. They are not sold in the states to my knowledge.

IndySport BR Medium Compound. 185/65/15 Bought for $150/tire at rally.build. This is a retread tire and does not have a gravel rally tire sidewall strength or thickness like a normal rally tire. This tires has huge gaps in the tread with tall square blocks. I used it at the nationals in 2016. It was very good in the loose grass and mud. The tires will clear the treads with no issue. Once it started to dry out and there is no loose material that would cause snow and rally tires to plug up the tires do not have the same bite as a rally or snow. The contact patch is too small. After 12 runs the tires show little to no wear. Another driver I know that had a set and a tread block come off the tire during an event. I did not see that type of degradation even after the course was down to packed dirt.
    Last edited by gsxnut; 10-17-2016, 10:16 PM.
    Mark Macoubrie
    RXB
    Kansas City Region
    2005 STI 41 PA

Comment

It should be important to say what kind of car the tires are going on. I found Winterforces to be almost undriveable on a small front-drive car, not much better than all-seasons, on grass/clay. Other people swear by them. Some people say snow tires are better than rally tires in mud, I have never experienced that ever with any 2wd car with various rally tires (Falken, Michelin, Hankook, Black Rocket) and various snow tires (Altimax, Winterforce, Nordfrost 3 and 5, Blizzak 15, 50, and 60).

I never had any problems with snow tires on AWD because I never have driven an AWD that had acceleration traction problems no matter how disgustingly sloppy the course was.

Size is also important. I see a lot of people running tires that are just plain too large for their car, this kills acceleration and also kills side bite. There's a HUGE difference in grip between a 205 width tire and a 185 width tire. And especially between a 235 width tires and a 185 width tire, even when the course is hard dry clay with rubber laid down in the corners.
      Last edited by Pete; 10-16-2016, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Size is also important. I see a lot of people running tires that are just plain too large for their car, this kills acceleration and also kills side bite. There's a HUGE difference in grip between a 205 width tire and a 185 width tire. And especially between a 235 width tires and a 185 width tire, even when the course is hard dry clay with rubber laid down in the corners.
        Good points. I added sizes to my tires. I'm pretty sure they are accurate (hard to remember the early ones).
        Max Lawson
        2nd Place 2016 MA

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          I never had any problems with snow tires on AWD because I never have driven an AWD that had acceleration traction problems no matter how disgustingly sloppy the course was.
          At the 2015 Nationals traction even for AWD traction was a major issue. I am not saying it is as bad as FWD or RWD but still there are conditions where if all you have is snow tires it is going to be very very slick. If you looked at the results and cars that had snow tires they were 20-30 second slower a run.
          Last edited by gsxnut; 10-17-2016, 10:25 PM.
          Mark Macoubrie
          RXB
          Kansas City Region
          2005 STI 41 PA

Comment

There is that, but there is also situations where, say, you find yourself upshifting to 4th gear and having to modulate throttle to keep from bouncing the rev limiter. We run on grass fields and SOMEONE has to be first on course. There's video somwhere of me driving my car (270hp, 2400lb + driver) on snow tires coated with PAM to theoretically make the mud not stick, on a "green" course. A whole career of rallycrossing like that makes me kind of laugh at the annual whinging over who has to run first in run order at Nationals.

Relevant to the thread: New tires that still have mold-release compound shed mud a lot better than tires that have multiple events on them. Also, don't spray your tires with PAM, it doesn't work at all. Unless you're in my class, then it works great, just like spraying your mountain bike's SPDs so they don't clog with mud!
            Last edited by Pete; 10-18-2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Just bumping this back up.

We're going to get a set of the "lightly used" take-off Hoosier rally tires (205s, medium compound) next weekend. The stage and hill climb rally drivers seem to really like them and we're looking forward to seeing how they do on the ol' evo.
              Max Lawson
              2nd Place 2016 MA

Comment

Well, after 16 events we're retiring our hard compound maxxis tires (note that each of those events always had two drivers and sometimes three). Late last season we noticed severe chunking of the corner tread blocks and they're at the point now where I'm not comfortable running them.

I won one national championship back in 2015 (almost again in 2016) and generally came in first or second locally using them. If they weren't chunking we'd probably run them off and on through the 2018 season as there is still decent tread on the blocks.

Pluses - long useful life, great traction on dry dirt, as responsive as just about any rally tire we've driven (maybe not quite as good as the K4 pirellis), national contingency

Minuses - bad in mud, costly

I have another set I bought back in 2016 but have only run a couple of times which we'll be using for most of the 2018 season. Just raced them Sunday and came in third due to hitting a bunch of cones. Great tires.
                Max Lawson
                2nd Place 2016 MA

Comment

in for feedback on maxsports, lots of guys in Wash DC region running them, hopefully they share!

Comment

Working...
                  X