Stock Class Legal Parts Swapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Class Legal Parts Swapping

I'm in the process of building an SR vehicle and was wondering if it is stock class legal to swap parts out compiling the best combination of parts that were offered as original equipment for the year and model of the vehicle being built even if all of the parts were not original equipment on the specific vehicle?.

Some examples:

Swapping rear ends that are identical other than gear ratio
    Swapping wheels for ones with better tire availability when steel and aluminum 14 x 5, 14 x 6 and 15 x 7 were all offered as original equipment
    Swapping out a bench seat for buckets

Assuming all parts are OE, bolt in without modification and were not part of any special package.

Pretty sure all three of those are specifically addressed in the Rules. You need to read them to be sure.

Rear ends - I don't think you can change gear ratio in Stock class.
    swapping an oem wheel for another oem wheel is fine as long as it's the same dimensions (If I recall correctly).
    Swapping bench for bucket, it sounds like a safe move, but I think that would be a weight reduction, which is also illegal in stock class, although, I doubt anyone would notice if you used all the oem interior bits to meet OEM specification (air bags, arm rests....)

Comment

Generally speaking, in Stock you cannot do any of that, the car must be as it was when it left the factory or the port of entry, with allowances for replacement of common wear items, and addition (not subtraction) of comfort/convenience items, unless it's specifically spelled out as legal. If it was delivered to the dealership with 14x6 wheels then that is what you must run, for example.

Comment

I read the rules, but they are very brief with no mention of parts swapping within the model and year vehicle being prepared.

Basically, other than:
        • Exhaust being open past the cat
        • Air filter being open as long as it fits the stock air box
        • Tire size being open (as long as they are DOT)
        • Wheels being open as long as no more than 10 mm more back spacing than stock
        you can’t “modify” anything.

We don’t want to modify anything, but would like to install the best combination of OE parts that were offered on the year and model vehicle we’re preparing. After reading some of the reasons (many that had no benefit on lap times what so ever) that vehicles have been disqualified, I thought we better get some clarification. Most of the swaps we have planned no one would ever notice, but I’m doing this project with a boy I work with from the Big Brothers program and I’m looking to show him how to work within the spirit of the rules not cheat. Example the vehicle we are working with was offered with 14 x 5, 14 x 6 and 15 x7 wheels, ours came with 15 x 7, but 14 x 6 could give us a nice gear reduction with the right tire combination.

Thanks for the input.
        Last edited by hillsrunner33; 09-09-2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

What is the car you are planning to build? Where are you located? It is nice that there is a Big Brothers connection with you getting involved with RallyCross. All of the modifications you are wanting to do are smart choices, just the wrong class. In fact, if you want to change the rear gear ratio, you should also add a limited slip differential while you are at it. As you have had people respond with, none of your choices are stock legal, but are smart for either prepared or modified. So, don't worry about the class that the car is prepared for, but rather the fun of inclusion with the person you are involved with the Big Brother program and your local RallyCross program. What you should also do is find the next event and as long as the car is capable of passing safety tech, go check it out and see what the car is capable with no modifications.

Brent

Comment

Originally posted by hillsrunner33 View Post
            I'm in the process of building an SR vehicle and was wondering if it is stock class legal to swap parts out compiling the best combination of parts that were offered as original equipment for the year and model of the vehicle being built even if all of the parts were not original equipment on the specific vehicle?.

Some examples:

Swapping rear ends that are identical other than gear ratio
            Swapping wheels for ones with better tire availability when steel and aluminum 14 x 5, 14 x 6 and 15 x 7 were all offered as original equipment
            Swapping out a bench seat for buckets

Assuming all parts are OE, bolt in without modification and were not part of any special package.
            Here's the relevant section from the Stock rule allowances:

1. All Cars must be equipped as from the manufacturer, with only factory installed and port-installed option packages. Options that were only part of a package must be present with the entire package. Complete option packages may be installed after purchase of the vehicle.

If the alternate rear end ratio was optional on that year/make/model, you can swap rear ends. If the ratio was available as part of a package, the entire package must be added.
            Aftermarket wheels are allowed but must have the OEM diameter and width.
            Can't swap out bench for buckets unless this was an option for that year/make/model and again, must install the entire package if buckets were part of a package.

Keith Lightfoot
            R-X Rules Committee Chair
            Keith Lightfoot
            Colorado Region
            SCCA Rules Committee Chair
            SCCA RallyCross Board

Comment

Originally posted by Lightfoot View Post

Here's the relevant section from the Stock rule allowances:

1. All Cars must be equipped as from the manufacturer, with only factory installed and port-installed option packages. Options that were only part of a package must be present with the entire package. Complete option packages may be installed after purchase of the vehicle.

If the alternate rear end ratio was optional on that year/make/model, you can swap rear ends. If the ratio was available as part of a package, the entire package must be added.
              Aftermarket wheels are allowed but must have the OEM diameter and width.
              Can't swap out bench for buckets unless this was an option for that year/make/model and again, must install the entire package if buckets were part of a package.

Keith Lightfoot
              R-X Rules Committee Chair
              What keith said.

Here's the things to keep in mind. If alternate rear ends were available for that car as a factory or dealer option, then you can install it. But, if that rear end was only available say, on one size of motor, then you must also have that motor and everything associated with having that motor (ie: brakes, transmission, all options that came with that motor). This is the same for the wheels. If the wheels were only available on the base 4 cylinder model, but yours is a V6, then you can't run the smaller wheels.

A practical example would be a 1994 miata which I am the most familiar with. This was available with a limited slip rear end as an option. So, you could install a 4.10, 7" torsen from another miata and be legal. Also in 1994 was the R model which had stiffer springs. You could upgrade to these springs, but only if you then installed the front and rear lips and rear spoiler. Same with air conditioning delete. you can delete your air conditioning if that was an option on its own, but you must do so fully. Using that miata example, if you had one of the higher models which had AC, you'd need to de-install the rest of the package items (seat speakers, power steering, power windows come to mind).

Comment

Working...
              X