New Suspension for the STI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Suspension for the STI

I found out I have two blown struts on the STI. I decided to try the new Feal Suspension Fixed Perch Struts. They are a direct replacement for the stock, are adjustable and are suppose to be setup more for Rally/RallyCross. We will see how it goes. I just got them on the car. I will be trying them out next week at a local RallyCross.

Mark
    Mark Macoubrie
    RXB
    Kansas City Region
    2005 STI 41 PA

Nice. I would be interested to see how it goes. I had a couple friends try the FEAL inserts, they the dampening was great, but they blew out seals very quickly, just a few months of use and they needed a rebuild. I have faith that Ode can make a good strut, I'd like to see some miles on them before I would be ready to purchase a set myself.

-Scott

Comment

We will see what happens. I had heard the same thing with a local racer who had major leaking issues after 7 events. I did not find that out until after I bought them. I had a set of revalved 06 STI struts on it before. They lasted 2 1/2 seasons and about 20-25 RallyCrosses. When I took them off I had two blown. One is stuck so bad I cannot pull it out by hand. One of the issues with the STI is the cost of a system. The Feal is the most cost effective or the stock STI struts. Next is the KYB gravel rally 2 and from there you can go with a custom setup to or go to coilovers.

We will see what happens.

Mark
      Mark Macoubrie
      RXB
      Kansas City Region
      2005 STI 41 PA

Comment

Are you fooling around with the springs any?
        Charles
        RXB
        RX Rule Committee chairman
        MR 1986 Mazda RX-7
        SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

I had King Springs on the car. The car was so stiff before I changed it I was not sure what was going to happen so I put the stock springs back in. I was only able to measure the backs because the size of the spring measuring tool. The backs went from King Springs 200 lbs/inch to stock 160 lbs/inch. They Kings did not appear to be progressive as I thought. they stayed at 200 lb/inch.

Mark
          Mark Macoubrie
          RXB
          Kansas City Region
          2005 STI 41 PA

Comment

So stock STi springs are published at 224f/194r. You measured 160? I measured some WRX front springs and found that they were 140# instead of the advertised 163#.
            Charles
            RXB
            RX Rule Committee chairman
            MR 1986 Mazda RX-7
            SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

Correct I did measure 160 but figured they had lost some of their resistance over time. They were both the pretty consistent and were consistent through the range of 4" of compression.

Mark
              Mark Macoubrie
              RXB
              Kansas City Region
              2005 STI 41 PA

Comment

Working...
              X