Volvo 240 for SCCA RallyX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo 240 for SCCA RallyX

The Volvo 240 is famous for Group H stage rally in Sweden. But here in the USA, an experienced SCCA RallyX driver gave us his opinion that Volvo 240s would not be competitive in SR, PR, or MR for the following reasons:

1. In SR, Porsche Boxsters and Lotus Elise are dominant because their mid engines provide better weight distribution and have stock LSDs, while the Volvo 240 has such a poor power-to-weight ratio that it can barely even compete against SR midfield cars such as stock Miatas.

2. Even in PR and MR, no amount of mods would make it competitive against lighter and more agile vehicles, not even the engine and drivetrain upgrades that are commonly applied in Sweden for Group H stage rally.

But here are some reasons I still might want to rallyx a 240:

1. It could eventually be prepared as a stage rally car.

2. Simple and easy to maintain.

3. Simple electronics with few driver aides.

4. Good reputation as a safe vehicle. Often described as “indestructible.”

5. Affordable RWD car and fun to drive.

Thoughts?

Maybe they're out there but I have yet to see a Lotus Elise at a RX. The Elise and Boxster certainly seem to have the right specifications but I'm not sure if either is really dominant. If there is a dominant vehicle in SR I would expect the Miata to fill that spot.

For PR things start to change as there are some key allowances that start to equalize some of the cars. The Volvo 240 is still going to be at a disadvantage.

For MR there is no reason the Volvo cannot be very competitive. The Modified class allows just about everything. How much time and money do you want to spend on it to make it a top vehicle?

You've cited the advantages of the 240. If you want a fun reliable RWD car to RX, it definitely fits that bill.
    Charles
    RXB
    RX Rule Committee chairman
    MR 1986 Mazda RX-7
    SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

Working...
    X