What makes a competitive Rallycross car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a competitive Rallycross car

Hello! I’ve been building a 2005 Mustang GT for Rallycross as I’ve had the car setup for competitive drifting (Welded rear end, hydraulic hand brake, roll cage, ect.) and decided to slowly convert it to stage rally in the California series and use Rallycross as a stepping stone. So far the car is lifted with Bilsteins, GT500 springs, and I’m planning on running 215/65/16 BFG K02s.

What would make a competitive car in Rallycross? What’s the points to focus on in a car? (other of course than seat time seat time seat time)
    Thanks for any advice

RallyCross is a great stepping stone to stage rally from a driving aspect, but competitive cars in stage have very different setups from RallyCross because of their emphasis on parts durability with a few jumps thrown in for fun.

Since you're most likely going to be in Modified, I'll give you my suggestions towards that. I've never set up a RWD car for RallyCross, but we've had good luck in FWD focusing on a few key things:
    - Rally tires. If you can't do Rally tires, winter tires are an OK second choice. The K02 might work too, especially if you already have them. If you don't own them already, consider rally tires.
    - compliant suspension: we still use stock springs in the 88 Civic, and no swaybars. You want to keep the tires on the ground.
    - light weight: There's only a few sizes of rally tires and there's only so much grip they can generate in corners. Less weight means faster cornering speeds, especially on loose surfaces
    - Driveability: If it's difficult and unpredictable to drive (think turbo lag or suspension weirdness) it's even more difficult to find the limits on variable unpredictable surfaces. Driver confidence in a predictable car is worth a lot more than a few horsepower, and the little orange and white Civic has always been consistently fast with barely 100hp. I'm not sure how the welded rear will affect driveability in the Mustang. It helps in ours with FWD, but we also have a lot of the weight over the drive tires.

And most important is of course the driver, but you already mentioned that. Seat time, seat time, seat time.
    That guy from Alaska

Comment

Good stuff, I removed my sway bars as well thinking a similar idea, I’ll definitely look into using rally tires as well. I’m not really sure how the welded rear end will do either, I’m hoping it makes it like drifting on a wet skid pad almost and makes it more predictable than a lsd

Comment

Working...
      X