FWD set ups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWD set ups

So anybody want to share their alignments and the secret dark art of setting up a FWD car for rallycross?

I my self had this question i found this video that i found helpful from Team O'Neil https://youtu.be/EDmHpxgMxFU

Comment

Alignment is largely irrelevant. The most important thing I've found is not bothering the front tires while they are trying to work.

Comment

I am running a Honda Civic in prepared. Factory LSD are $$$$$ and so are aftermarket ones. Anybody run a Phantom Block in their diff on a FWD car?? Does it end up just acting like a welded diff?

Comment

IIRC one of my friends used one for a while, and it does basically nothing.

I've rallycrossed a front driver with a welded diff (Omni GLH). I would not recommend, unless you have a lot of excess horsepower and don't mind replacing axles frequently. The only way to turn seemed to be to go to full lock and full power, which is a great way to support the CV manufacturing business.

Really, it seems to work better to run adjustable shocks at their softest setting in the rear so that bumps at the rear don't upset the front tires. A helical differential (I can't bring myself to call them limited slips because that is technically incorrect) is probably the best for FWD because it won't kill the ability to turn, which is a front driver's strong point. Never do anything that hurts your strengths! Do things that amplfy your strengths, and do things that minimize your weaknesses, in that order.
          Last edited by Pete; 04-14-2019, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks.... Yeah a 1995 civic doesn't have any extra horse power to speak of.(hahaha) I knew a welded diff would be a bad idea, but thought I would ask. Thanks for the info Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Alignment is largely irrelevant. The most important thing I've found is not bothering the front tires while they are trying to work.
              What about toe out on the rear to get the rear to come around on a turn?? I read the book The Front Wheel Driving High Performance Advantage by Jack Doo. It is kind of a dated book being that it is 30 years old. In the autocross section of the book it basically said that they would run tons of toe out in the rear to handle to tight corners of an autocross course.

Now I know rallycross is different, but a tight course is a tight course. I have run the car once this season and the next event is this weekend. I maxed the toe out in the rear. I really didn't notice anything strange about the handling or cornering. I do have not so good all season ties. I am sure when I get either a set of rally or studded snow tires it will make a difference.

Comment

Working...
              X