Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Independent rear suspension a must for RX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete
    replied
    Originally posted by JimR View Post
    Shower thought: is independent rear suspension a must to win in RallyCross?

Not many titles have gone to vehicles with a rear beam, or "stick axle." It looks like a Fiesta ST and a handful of first-gen RX-7's at first glance.

There are some cheap/spicy used cars that seem to have the right stuff, but aren't well represented. For example, the Sentra SE-R Spec-V is relatively short, light, and torquey with factory helical limited slip. Only the metal log of a rear suspension seems like a black mark.
    The problem with Sentras is that they are fragile and have no suspension travel in the front.

My line of thinking for a front driver is to make the rear suspension as supple as possible so that it doesn't upset the chassis when you hit bumps. I don't think traditional suspension tuning really applies to rough dirt, maintaining grip where it is needed is more important than handling. And the speeds are low enough that handling is going to be defined more by mass distribution than suspension tuning anyway. I ran stiff springs in the front of my S40 to keep it off the bumpstops and ran the rear shocks at full-soft on course to keep the back end from upsetting the front. Worked really REALLY well.

For a rear driver, IRS is a horrible thing. There's just no grip. You can't get any anti squat with IRS. With the three link in my RX-7, I can put power down like nobody's business. Actually have power understeer unless I am extremely crossed up. Accelerating drives the wheels into the ground no matter how rough the course is. There's a total of 18 inches of articulation, too, pushing up on one wheel pushes the other side down, and if you take the springs and shocks out you can articulate the assembly with finger pressure. Downside, all that grip makes rearend housings split open up the backside like a cracked egg, if it doesn't just flex to the point that it breaks axles. Which is a large reason why the RX-7 hasn't come out to play since 2014, I pretty much used up all of the increasingly hard to find rearend housings available to me. And I am still not done putting that 9" together...
    Last edited by Pete; 12-31-2017, 05:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dynatorch
    replied
    Well the Hondas and My Golf all have strut rear with a girder in the back. I assume a lot of other FWD cars that have titles.

Leave a comment:

• JimR
    started a topic Independent rear suspension a must for RX?

Independent rear suspension a must for RX?

Shower thought: is independent rear suspension a must to win in RallyCross?

Not many titles have gone to vehicles with a rear beam, or "stick axle." It looks like a Fiesta ST and a handful of first-gen RX-7's at first glance.

There are some cheap/spicy used cars that seem to have the right stuff, but aren't well represented. For example, the Sentra SE-R Spec-V is relatively short, light, and torquey with factory helical limited slip. Only the metal log of a rear suspension seems like a black mark.
Working...
X