Tires??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires??

Hey guys! I'm new to RallyCross and I've been building my car for the past year with hopes of running in the 2017 season. However, I haven't been in contact with any other drivers. I'm curious as to what kind of tires you guys run. Any feedback would be very helpful!

It really depends upon what class you're expected to run in and the soil conditions of your venue.

If you're a stock class competitor, you're limited to snow tires. Your options may be limited based upon your wheel size. I've successfully used the Hankook iPikes on the Evo I used to have. Look for something with lots of voids in the tread design. Tires like the Pacemark Snowtrakker, Hercules Avalance X-treme, General Altimax Artic all look good to me. I avoided tires designed for ice.

If you're a Prepared or Modified class competitor, tire selection becomes significantly more open. I'm just getting into the Modified class so I can not offer any experience. I expect to have set for mud, another set for loose, and another set for hard conditions. When to switch from one to the other I don't know. I'll have to do some testing.
    Charles
    RXB
    MA 1995 Subaru Impreza
    SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

I ran my 2004 WRX Wagon for 3 years in stock AWD. My tire of choice were the Pacemark Snowtrakker. I moved up to prepared AWD and currently run the Kuhmo R700. Rally tires are awesome!
      Last edited by wheelsdirty; 03-03-2016, 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling
      Southern California Rally Media
      WheelsDirty | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

Comment

That will definitely give me a place to start. Thanks guys!

Comment

As far as places to buy rally tires.....

http://www.dmacktyresusa.com/
          http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-332-victra-r19
          http://rally.build/category/products/rally-tires/

I'm sure there are other places to get them. Maybe others will chime in.
          Charles
          RXB
          MA 1995 Subaru Impreza
          SA 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Comment

What ^ those guys said.

I ran a couple seasons on some old Bridgestone Blizzaks. I want to try the general grabber at ii next time I need tires.

Comment

Tires really depend on your location and how the surface of your location is. I know some of the guys in the GA region have been known to run aggressive street tires when they run the old dirt track, just because of how compacted it is, while almost all of the CFR region folks run aggressive snow tires or rally tires depending on class. Your best bet is to talk to some of the folks in your region to get some information on where they started.

Remember that tires make a huge component of your build. Power doesn't matter if you can't get the traction to utilize it. Take your time and research well. If you haven't done a lot of rallycross previously, you are going to need some time to learn your car anyways, so it may even mean going out for a few races on old street tires just to see how she does. That is how I started out. Some old All-Seasons on wet grass led to an awesome slip-and-slide driving day. But, I learned a ton about how to correct steering in a pinch.

Comment

If you are going to stick with Snow Tires your first season or so then I have heard the Firestone Winterforce tires is really good. I used Bridgestone Blizzak tires for two seasons and I was fairly competitive with them. If you are going to step up to true rally tires out of the gate there are several options. There was a great article written on tires and tire selection by Leon Drake and published in SportCar magazine about 8 months ago. You may want to read the article. It give some great information on what to choose and why. It also has references to different manufacturers.

Mark M.
                Mark Macoubrie
                RXB
                Kansas City Region
                2005 STI 41 PA

Comment

I've used Winterforce snows on several cars. One advantage is they're dirt cheap (heh). And available in a lot of sizes. They've won a lot of national championships. A great place to start if you're just getting underway, but use a lot of air (40psi) until you know how rutted your courses will be, how aggressive you corner entries will be etc. You can debead them easier than regular street tires and much easier than real rally tires.

Comment

I currently run Black Rocket rally tires from Rocky Mtn Autosports. They were helpful getting my wheels (Method MR501) and tire package. Black Rockets are retreaded from Finland and they are very good and reasonably affordable. As Charles said, you can only run these in the prepared and modified class.

Comment

Demontweeks.com out of England has some incredible tire selections for our sport specifically. Also Rally.build.com out of Colorado has some great looking mud tires. I got a car with some Maxsports, they are a good soft tire for rallycross.

Brent

Comment

Be aware the D T Maxsports that Eric got for the Rabbit turned out to be not only (unexpectedly) retreads, but defective sidewalls and had to be trashed. Failed during tire mounting. Also Brent, weren't you having troubles with at least one of your tires?

Comment

Bill, Eric certainly had bad luck with those tires. I'll have to check with the person who bought them and see if he was able to do anything. All of the tires I've used are wearing nicely and have been the best tires I've ever used. The only tire I had a problem with was because of being ripped on the inner bead because of some metal "stuff" at Ridgecrest. If I didn't see some tires options from rally.build in Colorado I liked, I'd go with Demontweeks again.

Comment

Both the Maxsports and Rally.build tires are retreads. Or they call it remanufactured. Do we know if they use rally tire carcasses or might they be passenger tire carcasses?

Comment

are the pacemark snowtrakker still available? or the Wintermark magna grip? these seemed like they'd be epic win.

Comment

Working...
                              X